These past couple
of months my reading life has really expanded, I've discovered other
types of literature that I really relate to. A book that really stood
out to me is “ Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham. Dunham is
known for being controversial with her opinions and that is one of
the reasons that I really liked this book. The book is a collection
of essays written by Dunham about what she has learned in life and
how she views the world. Since I am young this kind of material is
really comforting in some ways. Her opinionated voice is one that
really made me want to read more and develop a reading taste. The
book which is filled with opinions, truly reflects her personality.
In the book Dunham
describes her relationship with her parents saying that it was/is
like a “ongoing roller coaster”(p.234). I find this the most
relatable section of her book because I think almost every person has
ups and downs in their relationships with their parents. On page 226
she states “ There are times where I am speaking to my parents and
I feel as if I am talking to a complete stranger”. This elaborates
on the idea of relatable text. Her vulnerability when admitting this
almost unspoken global feeling is something a lot of teenagers thrive
for when reading. It's the whole concept of trying not to feel like
you are the only one with problems. Another chapter in the book is
one about finding your sexuality. Now although Dunham is straight she
doesn't hesitate to share what almost everyone goes through which is
trying to find your sexuality. On page 183 she states “ There were
more than just a few times where I felt that I was gay. And maybe it
was because my sister was or maybe just the infamous teenage
questioning faze”. This evidence also is one that provides comfort.
It is yet another globally shared problem teens face.
All in all Dunham
book is one that is honest and true. It is the perfect book for teens
to learn from without any sugar coating. That is why it was my
favorite book that I have read.
The response that you wrote really makes me want to read “ Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham but also other books by her because you said she was so opinionated. The point is this response that really intrigued me was, " …about what she has learned in life and how she views the world." I agree that this idea is comforting and really makes me want to read her novels. Nice job!
ReplyDelete