Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Picture Book Forward


The topic of gender stereotypes or what is expected of a boy or girl to do based on societies view has been one for decades. Should women be able to have the same jobs as men? Should they be payed the same amount? Is a woman suitable to provide for a family? These are all questions that are brought up to adults and gender specific stereotypes. But this mindset of comparing men and women and putting them into categories starts at a very young age.
I was raised in an extremely political family where gender equality along with many others was a topic at the dinner table. I remember once when I was in elementary school, a boy sitting next to me had spilled his water all over the table to which the teacher responded by telling him to clean it up. His response was one that agrivated me to the core. He said and I quote “ Why can't she do it she's the girl?”Now although the topic was always around me I had never experienced this first hand. Strangley enough my response was quick and looking back in heinsight was genius. I replied with a simple “ I suck at cleaning”
The idea that a boy or girl might be a afraid to do what they like and persue their dreams just because of their gender is toxic to society and the future. This book is for anyone who has ever wanted to or has stepped over the boundries simply for themselves. I hope it inspires young children and helps to teach a new idea of the phrases “ You're a girl” or “ You're a boy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment