Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ksenija Scahill
810
The Diary of Anne Frank
         The book, “The Diary of Anne Frank” by Anne Frank, is a diary of a young girl in the holocaust. The book, tells the tale of a young girl named Anne who kept a diary while in hiding from Nazi's. It tells about the Holocaust through the eyes of a teenager by using her thoughts and feelings. The book though doesn't only speak about the Holocaust and Anne but as well as her struggles with being a teenager and discovering herself, which is something all teens struggle with no matter what the circumstances. I think that her diary is a symbol of teenage hood and its struggles.

         In the book, Anne starts to deal with issues of finding her sexuality. Sexuality is something that comes up as a teenager. It is part of your identity and discovering your identity is something major for a teen and that is one reason that this book deals with teen struggles as well as the Holocaust. It states “ I once was over at Eva's house and felt the urge to kiss her, so I did. And although I was quite embarressed, I never felt regret.” This piece of evidence shows how much she is going through emotionally. By saying she was embarressed but didn't regret it tells the confusion she is going through in terms of her sexuality. Another piece of evidence is Anne's crush on Peter, who is a boy she is hiding with. Her crush on him shows just how much of a normal teenage girl she is. The text says “ Everyday I become more and more comforted by Peter and yet I feel so intimidated by him...in the best of ways” This piece of text just tells how love sick Anne is. Her feelings for Peter are normal teenage romance feeling.
            In the book , The Diary of Anne Frank, speaks about the Holocaust through a young girls eyes. But it also speaks about a young girls struggle as a teenager.

1 comment:

  1. Ksenija this fantastic! Some of your best work! Great use of evidence and I loved your voice/tone and the flow of the piece. -Halle

    ReplyDelete