Monday, November 10, 2014

"Crank" Reading Response




                                                    Reading Response
     
      For our book club unit I read " Crank" by Ellen Hopkins. These books ( Hopkins Books) are very grim and dark. We tried to in this unit figure out wether or not these books should be banned. In general I don't believe books should be banned because I feel that literature gives a new of learning about things even if they are heavy topics. I can see why people might want to ban these books but there is also big reason to keep them around.
     
     Ellen Hopkins books deal with a darker side of society. Her books focus around the subject of troubled teens. " Crank" tells a story about a young woman named Kristina who moves in with her dad after years of not being in contact with him. While she's staying there she meets a boy named Alex and slowly starts to fall in love with him. Unfortunately she doesn't realize he is addicted to Methamphetamine. As she spends more time with him she starts to develop the same addiction. The text at one point states " I watched him pour the powder, yellowish white.Use the blade to chop the chunks fine, draw two crooked lines" This text is describing drug use. I can see how some may find this inappropriate. It may influence teens or tell them it's okay to do drugs.

        Now although these books deal with heavy topics, they can also benefit people. These topics can warn people and also educate young adults about the troubles in the world. This text also may bring comfort for troubled teens and let them know they are not alone. I think these books are less about supporting drugs and dark behavior but more about educating people about them to prevent them from occuring. That is why I believe that these books should not be banned but rather looked as a learning tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment