Thursday, November 13, 2014
Trip Reading Response
This past Wednesday our class went to the Museum of the City of New York.We spent our day there and I have to say it was a very educational trip. When we first went to the museum and studied the photos that was very interesting. I found it fascinating on a more personal level to see the photos of New York. But what I really learned out in the museum is activism. And since I come from a very political family this was perfect. Of course when asked which activism station I wanted to do I said Feminism.
Studying the Feminism section of the exhibit really opened my eyes to different forms of Feminism. I learned about how New York City played a role in the act of Feminism in the early 20th century. On May 21, 1910 10,000 New Yorkers gathered inUnion Square to cheer for speakers demanding that women be granted the right to vote. I also learned a lot about what the struggle was like for women to get the right to vote. They came up with clever remarks that included some lines that tested stereotypes of women. One sign read " Are Politics Dirty? Call in the cleaning ladies!" This is kind of using the stereotype that all women clean and implying that since women pick up everything else after men why can't they do the same for politics.
Overall I think I really benefitted from this exhibit. It helped me to see the evolution of women's rights and what women went through so that I would have the rights I have today. Especially being a young woman in today's society, this exhibit really helped me understand my role in society and how important it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment